The following puzzle is attributed to Albert Einstein or Lewis Carroll. It is sometimes called the Zebra Puzzle.
- There are 5 houses in five different colors.
- In each house lives a person with a different nationality.
- These five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet.
- No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same beverage.
The question is: Who owns the fish?
- the Brit lives in the red house
- the Swede keeps dogs as pets
- the Dane drinks tea
- the green house is on the left of the white house
- the green house’s owner drinks coffee
- the person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds
- the owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
- the man living in the center house drinks milk
- the Norwegian lives in the first house
- the man who smokes blends lives next to the one who keeps cats
- the man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill
- the owner who smokes BlueMaster drinks beer
- the German smokes Prince
- the Norwegian lives next to the blue house
- the man who smokes blend has a neighbor who drinks water
Einstein wrote this riddle this century. He said that 98% of the world could not solve it.
Here is a class diagram to abstract the information.